Here are just a few facts about bamboo and its sustainability that you should know:
– Bamboo is a type of flowering grass and there are almost 1,500 different species. The flowers of bamboo are rarely seen as some species only develop flowers after 65 or even 120 years. An interesting fact about flowering is that all plants of one species of bamboo develop flowers at the same time, no matter where they are located in the world.
– Bamboo mainly grows in the tropical and subtropical regions of Asia, Africa and Latin America. As far north as the southern United States or central China, and as far south as Patagonia, a sparsely populated region at the southern end of South America. They also grow in northern Australia and sub-Sahran Africa. In fact, Ethiopia is home to 67% of all African bamboo.
– Bamboo is the fastest growing plant on the planet. It can grow 3 feet, nearly 1 metre, in height in 24 hours. Unlike other woody plants, bamboo reaches maturity after only 3 – 5 years which means that it’s one of the most sustainable resources we have on the planet.
– Bamboo releases roughly 30% more oxygen into the atmosphere than the majority of other plants, it also absorbs more carbon dioxide. Because of this, bamboo is a fantastic facilitator in removing harmful greenhouse gases from our atmosphere.
– Bamboo Kun is the name of the natural antimicrobial bio-agent found in bamboo. This is what makes the bamboo plant resistant to pests that try and harm the plant in its natural environment and means there’s no need to use any pesticides when cultivating it. Many types of chemical pesticides are often sprayed on cotton crops to keep the pests away, but not with bamboo.
– Bamboo can be made to use quality, luxury toilet paper and kitchen rolls and these are now freely available to buy online from many specialist online retailers.
Tiboo has just launched a new e-commerce website enabling consumers to purchase bamboo-based products including toilet paper and kitchen rolls. Customers can purchase the products individually, or in packs and can also subscribe to receive regular deliveries throughout the year.
By using Tiboo® Pure Bamboo toilet paper and kitchen rolls, consumers are helping not only to preserve the rainforests for future generations but also the planet. The production of toilet paper and other consumables using tree pulp is unsustainable and we’re glad that we can play a little part in a better future for all here at Tiboo.